Parents as Teachers is a free program that provides parent education and family support to families in Pulaski County throughout pregnancy until your child enters Kindergarten, usually age 5.
All families qualify for this program regardless of income or whether you are a first time parent or a parent that has several children.
In the first few years children learn more and at a faster pace than at any other time in their life. You can help shape your child's future through the kinds of experiences you provide for them during these first few years. Your baby was born to learn, and as a parent, YOU are the FIRST and most important teacher for your child.
Through the Parents as Teachers program:
- you will be supported by our Parents as Teachers certified parent educator who has been trained to translate scientific information on early brain development into specific when, what, how, and why advise for families
- you will acquire skills to make the most of the crucial early learning years.
- you will understanding what to expect during each stage of development
- you will learn to capture the “teachable moments” in everyday life to enhance their child's language development, intellectual growth, social development, and motor skills
- you will strengthen your relationship with your child
Our parent educator will provide you with personal home visits, parent group meetings, and screenings specific for your child’s needs.
Studies have shown that children of parents enrolled in this program:
- are at age 3 significantly more advanced in language, social development, problem solving and other cognitive abilities compared to children that have not been through the Parents as Teachers program.
- scored higher on Kindergarten readiness tests and on standardized measures of achievement in early grades of school.
If you are interested in this finding out more information about the Parents as Teachers program, please contact Carrie Altmaier, Pulaski County Schools Parent Educator, (606) 678-4100.